Safe protection zone monitoring in rugged conditions.
With the world’s first safe complete solution for protection zone monitoring based on radar technology, Pilz is expanding its portfolio in the field of safe sensor technology.
It consists of the safe radar system LBK System from Inxpect S.p.A. and the configurable small controller PNOZmulti 2. This complete solution enables complex applications and rugged environments to be monitored safely, even outdoors. The robust radar technology ensures high availability even where there are external influences such as dust, dirt, rain, light, sparks or shock.
Safe protection zone monitoring with radar technology.
With the underlying radar technology (FMCW: frequency modulated continuous wave), the LBK System offers volume monitoring with a frequency of 24 – 24.25 GHz and it can be used up to SIL 2, PL d and Category 2. The safety-related functions covered by the system include the “detection function” and the “restart interlock”. While the detection function brings the machine to a safe state as soon as the danger zone is violated, the restart interlock prevents the machine starting up automatically when there are still persons in the danger zone.
Flexible setup of protection zones.
The safe radar system solution includes, depending on the application, up to six radar sensors, one control unit and the configurable safe controller PNOZmulti 2. Depending on the size of the area to be monitored, a wide or narrow protection zone can be set up for each sensor: the wide protection zone has an opening angle of 110° horizontally and 30° vertically, the narrow protection zone has an opening angle of 50° horizontally and 15° vertically.
Simple configuration with the LBK System Configurator.
The actual protection zone of the sensor depends on the positioning, installation height and inclination (horizontal/vertical) of the sensor. This way, flexible shapes can be created for the protected areas. As a maximum, an area of 15 x 4 m can be monitored.
The sensors are selected and configured via the appropriate Configurator. In addition to the protection zone, it is also possible to configure a warning zone. If a person violates the warning zone, this may be signalled by an optical signal, for example. This way, productivity of the plant can always be maintained.
Benefits of the safe LBK System.
- – Complete solution for safe protection zone monitoring in complex applications or with external influences in combination with PNOZmulti 2;
- – Insensitive to dust, rain, light, dirt, steam and shock;
- – Series connection of up to 6 sensors;
- – The Configurator is used to select the sensors and set up the protection zone;
- – Warning zone to signalize approaching objects;
- – Integral muting for the whole system or for individual sensors;
- – Restart interlock to prevent the machine restarting when there are people in the danger zone.
Features of the safe LBK System.
- – Sensor opening angle, wide protection zone: 110° horizontal, 30° vertical;
- – Sensor opening angle, narrow protection zone: 50° horizontal, 15° vertical;
- – Opening angle, narrow protection zone: 50° horizontal, 15° vertical;
- – Range of the sensor: 4 m;
- – Maximum protection zone (with 6 sensors): 15 m x 4 m;
- – Connection type: CANopen;
- – Reaction time: max. 100 ms;
- – For use in applications up to SIL CL 2, PL d, Category 2.
In applications where optoelectronic sensors reach their limits due to complex application conditions or external influences, the safe LBK System combined with the configurable small controllers PNOZmulti 2 offer the optimum solution. Typical applications can be found in heavy industry, for example, where dust, swarf or welding sparks, bright light and shock are prevalent. This includes steel processing, foundries or woodworking. Outdoors, the radar system safeguards cranes or bulk cargo ports and storage facilities, even in fog, snow and moderate rain.